Pages - Menu

Saturday, October 23, 2010

FLOWERY fun!

okay, so didja get the brand new Some Odd Girl newsletter delivered to your inbox last night? wellllll, i had the pleasure of providing the article, which was all about stretching your scraps and making fabby creations despite not having much stuff with which to play. my focus? FLOWERS! they're such an EASY way to embellish, and with a couple of punches, or even just a sharpie and some scissors, you can make great cards on a budget.

Some Odd Girl just released a whole whack of fun SENTIMENTS (just a dollar each!), and i definitely need to build up my birthday card stash for the craft fair, so when i saw the fabby ABC Challenge this week - FLOWERS! - i knew exactly what i wanted to do!

here's my card: (click to enlarge!)


a close-up on the flowers:


and here are the very basic supplies i used to make this card:


scissors, a black sharpie, four different punches - although i ended up drawing some of my own flowers too so i'd have more sizes - and a very small handful of coordinating scraps. for my scraps, i was super thrifty! one was a paint swatch from WalMart (they have AWESOME colours!), one was pinched from a notecard someone sent me, two came from packaging of kitchen stuffs, and the other four were from four different manufacturers. oh, and plain white cardstock and my trusty adhesives.

punched, cut, then doodled a TON of flowers and decided i needed a scallopy border:


layered 'em all up 'til i loved them, printed and cut/coloured THIS SENTIMENT:


and assembled!
totally easy peasy, and looks like a pretty lush card if i do say so myself!
i have a tendency to bust out the punches when i have lots of little pieces, and since i buy coloured cardstock for my bases, i often end up with narrow strips left over, which are PERFECT for borders (punched or doodled - your choice)! a simple way to embellish, or to just load up the flowers as your focus for a card.

and that's all she wrote!

7 comments:

  1. I know!!! Isn't this tut amazing?? You have outdone yourself for sure. LOVE LOVE, LOVE it

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girl after my own heart... I *love* using up scraps and these flowers look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super fun card! The flowers are beautiful! Thanks for showing how you made them. Thanks for playing the ABC F is for flowers Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved you article... will have to start doing that for sure seeing as I save every scrap I have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab card, love how you've made you flowers from your scraps ! Thanks for joining us at ABC Challenge. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is fab, love all the funky florals!! hugs Juls

    ReplyDelete

thanks for stopping by! please leave a message after the beep... "BEEEEEEEEEP!"